Lumps on the body are very common. Almost any part of the body can develop a lump as a result of one condition or another. Depending on the cause and nature, a lump on your body can be harmless and painless, or very painful and in fact dangerous.
To most people, lumps are signs of cancer or increase the risk of getting cancer. This is not always true. In fact, more than 90% of all lumps on body will neither develop into cancer nor will they increase your risk of getting the disease.
Benign tumors and cystic lumps can be left untreated. They will not spread or invade other body tissues and organs. Malignant lumps on the other hand require immediate treatment. They will not only grow uncontrollably but will also spread to other body regions. Telling a benign tumor from a malignant one can be quite challenging. It is for this reason that you are always advised to have a lump on your body checked by a doctor. In this article, we will examine the meaning of lumps on different parts of the body.
What does a lump in your breast mean?
What does a lump in your breast mean? In most cases, a lump in your breast indicates one of the following conditions:
A lipoma develops under the skin. It basically is a benign fatty tissue growth. Lipomas are soft and rubbery to the touch. They are not fixed on any tissue and will easily move if pressed with a finger.
Fibroadenomas are common causes of noncancerous breast lumps, most of which are painless. These lumps are made up of connective and glandular tissue. Women between the age of 20 and 30 years are most commonly affected.
This is a benign tumor that grows in milk ducts near the nipple. It can cause bleeding and nipple discharge.
Mastitis is inflammation of breast tissue. It is common in breastfeeding women. The condition usually develops in blocked milk ducts. Symptoms include swelling, skin redness, pain, warmth and hardening of the inflamed breast tissue.
Fluid-filled sacs known as cysts can develop inside the breast. Cysts mostly form round lumps under skin. Sometimes, a condition known as fibrocystic breast disease can develop. It causes painful noncancerous lumps in breasts.
Breast cancer is a common type of cancer. It is characterized by hard, painless lumps in breast tissue. Other symptoms include dimpling of breast, retracted nipple, changing breast skin color and enlargement of affected breast.
What does a lump in the stomach mean?
Your stomach is located on the left upper quadrant of your abdomen. The abdomen is the cavity between your thorax and pelvis. In most cases, lumps will occur in the abdomen rather than the stomach. So as to what a lump in the stomach means, the following causes of abdominal lumps can be responsible:
A hernia mostly occurs in the lower abdomen near the groin area. This happens when an internal abdominal organ pushes through a weak spot in abdominal wall. Hernias are not painful.
A hematoma is an abnormal collection of blood under the skin. It mostly occurs after blood leaks from damaged blood vessels and clots under skin.
As mentioned earlier, a lipoma is a fatty tissue growth. Lipomas can appear anywhere in the body but mostly on fatty tissues such as in the stomach.
Tumors in the stomach and abdomen are common. They can be caused by enlarged spleen or liver. You can also have a protruding kidney or a mass on pancreases. Cancerous tumors may start in abdominal organs such as the stomach, colon, liver, duodenum and so on. In most cases, a noticeable lump will not form. Imaging tests and biopsies are necessary to identify the actual cause of a lump in the stomach.
Ovarian disorders such as ovarian cysts are common causes of a lump in the female pelvic area symptoms.
Lump in my throat meaning
Your throat is the back part of your mouth which leads to the esophagus. People often search for topics such as “lump in my throat meaning, causes and symptoms.” If you have a lump in your throat, it could be resulting from any of the following:
Anxiety or stress
A feeling of having a lump in your throat, caused by stress or anxiety, is known as globus sensation. It is caused by throat muscles constriction, not a mass in the throat.
This is a disorder caused by scarring of the throat muscles. Acid from the stomach can sometimes leak into the esophagus and cause damage. Scarring occurs as the damaged muscles heal.
A mucosal lesion develops on mucous membranes such as the lining of the throat. Canker sores and tonsil stones are common causes.
You have lymph nodes on either side of your neck. When swollen, a painful lump on the throat will appear. Swollen lymph nodes are common causes of a lump on the right side of the esophagus.
If a lump in the throat feeling is accompanied by symptoms such as heartburn, it could be caused by tightening of throat muscles. This is aimed at preventing acid from stomach from leaking into the throat.
Both benign and malignant tumors can form in the throat. Cystic lumps and thyroid disorders are more common than cancerous lumps. Oral cancer can start as a small white lump on the tonsil.
What does a lump mean on;
- Swollen lymph nodes – swollen lymph nodes are the most common causes of lumps in the armpit. Swelling of lymph nodes occurs due to infections and disease. If other lymph nodes in the body are also to swell, it is an indication of a serious infection or disease.
- Boils -Boils in the armpit are common. They appear in form of swollen and painful lumps with a white tip. Other symptoms include red, warm skin.
- Cysts -Cysts are fluid-filled sacs that form under skin. Normally, cysts are not painful. They may not require treatment but do not disappear on their own. A cyst can form on internal or external organs. For example, you can have a cystic big lump under the tongue, on the testicles or even on ovaries. Most are not painless but some, such as a stye lump on the outside of the eyelid, can be painful.
- Tumors – benign tumors such as lipoma can occur in the armpit. Malignant lumps caused by lymphoma or breast cancer can also form in or near the armpit.
- Vasectomy – after a vasectomy, blood may leak from a damaged blood vessel to form a clot or a hematoma. This will be felt as a hard lump in the testicles. A hard lump on the leg can also be a hematoma.
- Varicocele – this is a common cause of testicular lumps. It is caused by enlarged veins in testicles. Varicocele is most common after puberty.
- Injury – accidents or injuries can cause twisting of the testicles, a condition referred to as testicular torsion. It is quite painful and requires medical attention.
- Hydrocele – hydrocele is common in premature babies. It is caused by fluid buildup in the testicles.
- Orchitis – this is inflammation of the testicles due to an infection. Mumps virus is a common cause but bacteria can also be responsible.
- Epididymitis – this is inflammation of the epididymis, the highly coiled tube on top of testicles that store sperm. It can be caused by bacteria or virus.
- Epididymal cyst – sometimes, the epididymis can become blocked and unable to drain sperm. This leads to formation of a fluid-filled epididymal cyst.
- Cancer – testicular cancer is not common but can cause a hard mass on the testicles.
It is normal to have one testicle hanging lower than the other. The epididymis is located on top to the back of each testicle. It can feel like a soft lump to the touch.
Cysts and lipomas are perhaps the most common benign lumps on body. Boils and abscesses are common causes of painful bumps on skin.
When to see a doctor
There are many other types and causes of lumps that are not discussed here. See your doctor if a lump rapidly or gradually grows in size and mass. Pus formation and fever are common signs of infection and should be addressed medically. Basically, see your doctor if a lump on your body has no explainable cause or is of any form of discomfort to you.
Hard Lump Under Incision After Surgery: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
A hard lump that develops under an incision from surgery is known as a seroma. It results from fluid accumulation in a place where an
Lump Above, Near and Under Belly Button: Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment
A lump near the navel area can develop on the skin or originate from inside the abdomen. Depending on its cause, the lump can be
Small, Hard, Pea Sized, Painful Lump on Testicle: Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatments
The testicle is a small, egg-shaped reproductive organ in men. There are two testicles in healthy men, enclosed in a sac known as the scrotum.
Painful Lump in throat feeling when swallowing or after eating: Causes & Treatment
Feeling a lump in your throat can be painful or painless. It is common and benign in most cases, especially when painless. It is very
Cholesterol, Yellow, Itchy Lump Under or Around Eyes: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
The skin around your eyes is very thin and sensitive. It is for this reason prone to several types and causes of bumps, lesions or
Painful Lump in Breast: causes, symptoms, diagnosis and treatment
Breast lumps are always best examined by a GP. This is bearing in mind that breast cancer is ranked as the second source of cancer