Tea tree oil should not be confused with tea oil. The latter can be identified by its yellow coloring. It is extracted from the leaves of a plant known as Melaleuca alternifolia. It is a topical remedy, meaning that it should only be used externally. It has for a long time been believed to have skin healing benefits. However, few research findings are available to support these claims.
Uses of tea tree oil
- It is used as an antimicrobial remedy on open and infected wounds occurring on the skin.
- It is mixed with benzoyl peroxide and used as a remedy for acne.
- It is used as a home remedy for treating moles, skin tags and warts.
- It is used in treating fungus infections. It is mostly effective when used to treat fungus of the nails and athlete’s foot.
- It can be used for cleaning off an armpit boil.
Uses for this remedy should be entirely topical. If swallowed, it can cause stomach problems and even, with extreme reactions, cause hallucinations. Some users have reported allergic reactions to this product.
How to use Tea tree oil for fungus
Tea tree oil is very effective in treating toenail and fingernail fungus. Here are the steps to follow and instructions on how to use tea tree oil for fungus infections:
- Use a nail cutter or clipper to get rid of the dead parts of the nail. To make the process easier, try soaking the nails in warm water for about 15 minutes.
- Using a nail file, get rid of the any coarse parts of the nail. Here, make sure that you do not cut any part of your skin in attempt to get a smooth finish on your nails. If you have sensitive skin, consider using a nail brush instead of a coarse file.
- Use a mild soap to clean your feet or hands thoroughly. When done, dry off your feet or hands, ensuring that not dirt has been left especially underneath your nails.
- Apply the tea tree oil to the infected parts. You can apply some drops of the solution directly to the affected areas or use a cotton ball. Some people prefer soaking their feet in a water-tea tree oil solution. Either method will work. This process should be repeated until the fungus infection goes away.
- You can also opt for processed creams, face wash and products that contain tea tree oil. Such creams and lotions can be accessed in CVS, Walmart, Walgreens or any credible retailing store.
It is important to note that good hygienic habits should be observed even when making use of this remedy. Keep your nails short and clean. Always wear shoes and avoid sharing socks and shoes with others.
How to use tea tree oil for warts
Tea tree oil is one of the best home remedies for treating warts, especially genital warts. However, it is important that you notify your doctor before using tea tree oil for warts. Below is a step by step guide to using it for cleaning off warts:
- Thoroughly clean both your hands and the affected area. It is advisable that you let the areas dry on their own but you can dry them with a clean towel if you need to.
- Apply a single drop of the pure form of tea tree oil directly on the affected areas. Only target the warts themselves. You can also opt to soak a cotton ball in the solution and squeeze it onto the warts.
- Bandage the warts after this application. Some people prefer to soak the bandage with tea tree oil too. Let the bandage remain in its position overnight.
- Replace the bandage in the morning and then repeat the process. It may take up to four weeks to have the warts completely cleared off using this method. If you notice irritation on the skin due to use of tea tree oil, try mixing the same with castor oil for warts.
- For warts occurring on the ears and or on other sensitive parts like eyelids, refrain from attempting to heal them yourself. See a doctor for further assistance in such a case.
How to use tea tree oil for skin tags
Tea tree oil may not be such a quick skin tag removal remedy but it certainly works. Even better, it has limited side effects and leaves no scarring afterwards. In fact, it is one of the few home remedies suggested for facial skin tags removal. Here is the process for how to use tea tree oil for skin tags:
- Start with cleansing the part of skin affected by the skin tags.
- Soak a cotton ball in water and squeeze it dry. From there, add an average of 3 drops of the tea tree oil onto the cotton ball.
- Keep massaging the areas affected by the skin tag for about 4 minutes.
- Repeat this process about four times a day.
- You can also opt to tape the cotton ball onto the affected areas for a few hours.
- Some people prefer to use tea tree oil in its pure forms. This might work for some people but is advised against if you have over-sensitive skin.
- Tea tree oil can be used alongside other remedies like olive oil or apple cider vinegar.
How to use tea tree oil for moles
A mole is a type of skin ailment that results from clumped up melanocytes. Though they manifest as small body tumors, they are not malignant. It is necessary to learn more on some of the oil tones and treatment methods for the same, especially for a mole on eyelid. Below is the guideline for how to use tea tree oil for moles:
- Examine the size of the mole and get a cotton ball equating the mole in size.
- Soak it in water, squeeze the water off and add about 3 drops of tea tree oil. You can opt to soak the cotton ball in the oil itself, if you do not have a sensitive skin or if the moles are mild.
- Using tape, fix in place the cotton ball, in such a way that it will only cover the entire mole and not other parts of the skin.
- Repeat this process until the mole is completely gone.
- Stop any further use of this method if you experience skin irritation. However, you can opt to use coconut or olive oil along with tea tree oil to lessen the irritation.
The use of tea tree oil for skin infections started long ago. In fact, some people use it as a face wash remedy. As much as scientific data for how exactly it works might be limited, results have worked in favor of this remedy.
All the same, it is important that you approach a doctor if you fail to get the desired results. This also goes for skin infections occurring in a sensitive area. For example, warts of the genitals can invite cases of cervical cancer for women. In some cases, a cancerous tumor can be mistaken for a benign skin infection. All these cases will have disastrous results if tea tree oil is to be used as the only treatment remedy. All the same, tea tree oil works for most common skin ailments.
Home Remedy and Removal Methods for Moles, Skin Tags and Warts under Arms.
A skin tag is a tumor, but a benign one. When it occurs on the armpits, it is susceptible to friction and heat, a fact
How to remove large skin tags yourself at home, with pictures.
Skin tags are generally small. They tend to appear on parts of the body that are prone to friction. If left untreated, they can fall
Skin Tag Removal Cream – Treatment cream in India & Australia.
Skin tags are skin growths that are completely harmless as far your health is concerned. However, they can be quite embarrassing and a source of
Cutting off Skin Tags, Warts and Moles – How to Successfully Remove them.
Skin tags, warts and moles can start to become a nuisance. Even though they are not symptoms of serious health conditions, they can occur in
Skin Tag on Eyelid – Best Treatment for Skin Tags, Wart, and Mole Around or Under the Eye.
Skin tags have a tendency to appear around or under the eye, especially on the eyelid. The exact reasons as to why this is so
How Much Does It Cost To Remove a Skin Tags, Warts and Moles.
There are no major health concerns associated with skin tags. All the same, many look for means to get rid of them especially when they