The skin is bigger than any other body organ. It is also the most exposed organ, having not only to protect internal organs from external harsh conditions such as trauma and heat, but also keeping body temperature regulated.
There is a long list of skin conditions that have to be dealt with, from before birth to the time the body succumbs to natural or induced demise. We are mostly familiar with conditions such as acne and pimples. Interestingly enough, not many of us are aware of exactly how even such common disorders of the skin occur or can be treated.
In this article, we will try to break down some of the more common and more rare skin conditions. We will also attempt as much as possible to point out the notable differences, especially in terms of causal agents. As you will find out, a skin condition can be an infection, infestation or a natural condition responding to body reactions such as allergies or poorly shaved skin hair.
List of skin disorders in humans
Below is a list of skin disorders. It may not be comprehensive but it is somewhere to start from:
Conditions due to skin reactions
- Acne – these are the pimples that commonly mark puberty. They can also develop in later stages of development, especially during pregnancy.
- Razor bumps – after shaving, some bumps may develop. They may result after hair strands curl inwards rather than protrude from the follicles.
- Hives – in response to ingestion or use of a product that you are allergic to, little welts may develop on the skin. They cause a lot of itching, discomfort and are usually reddened.
- Cold sores – contrary to the name, these sores have little or nothing to do with cold. They appear mainly on the lips and in the mouth.
- Eczema – atopic eczema results from dried skin, which predisposes the skin to triggers that contribute to cracked and reddened skin. Seborrheic eczema is another type.
- Sunburn – too many UV rays on the skin causes the skin to develop burn and possibly even to blister.
- Psoriasis – infections or even sunburns can contribute to or cause Psoriasis. It is characterized by silvery-reddened patches on the skin.
- Skin tags and moles – skin tags are thought to occur when affected body parts are exposed to friction, either from other body parts or from clothing. Moles on the other hand are mostly caused by clumped melanocytes. Different factors contribute to the development of either condition.
- Rosacea – the actual causes of this condition are not known. Individuals older than 30 years are more likely to develop the condition. It causes the affected areas, mostly the nose and forehead to redden and can also result in tiny pimples and bumps.
- Lupus – with this problem, the body’s natural defense system attacks healthy cells. The tell-tale symptom is a rash that forms under the eye and covers all the way from the cheekbones to the bridge of the nose. On pictures, the rash will resemble a butterfly.
- Hemangiomas – if you happen to observe a skin growth mainly on the scalp in children, there are chances that it will end up being a hemangiomas bump. They are not dangerous and will go away with time.
- Cancer – melanoma is the deadliest of all cancers of the skin. Factors such as too much exposure to UV rays and radiation encourage this form of cancer.
- Impetigo – it is caused by bacteria and is contagious. It is characterized by blistering and sores occurring on the lips or the nose.
- Cellulitis and boils – the two conditions occur when bacteria finds a way into the skin through openings or through hair follicles.
- Warts – these are cauliflower-shaped skin growths that take on the color of the skin. They mostly appear on the genitals and are caused by HPV, a virus. Most people can’t tell the difference between a skin tag, a mole and a wart. This is even worse when the growths develop on genitals. For example, a skin tag on anus can be confused with even more conditions such as anal fissures and hemorrhoids.
- Candidiasis – Candidiasis of the skin is characterized by reddened and intensely itchy rash. With time, the rash will form blisters. It prefers body parts such as groin and underarms.
- Ringworm and athlete’s foot – they are fungal infections, probable causes of toenail fungus.
- Rubeola – rubeola virus is responsible for measles.
- Scabies – it perhaps is the most common skin infestations and one of the itchiest disorders in humans. It is caused by very tiny mites that burrow into the skin and multiply there. Apple cider vinegar for skin care can be used to lessen the discomfort created by the mites but medical attention must be sought to get rid of the mites completely.
- Protozoa and parasitic infestations – in humans, some insects such as the tsetse fly are known to transmit infestations. Parasites such as lice and fleas can also cause itchiness and redness on the skin.
The above list contains common skin disorders, but these not the only ones known today. It is always good to consult a dermatologist or just a general doctor for professional advice. In case of conditions such as small skin tags or razor bumps, you can try remedies like castor oil for skin conditions treatment.
What causes blue skin disorder in humans?
Blue skin disorder is not harmful as it may appear or sound. Scientifically known as Argyria, it results after silver and its compounds are accumulated in the body. This can occur after ingestion or external application, including pollution, of silver containing products.
The blue skin disorder is usually a hard one to get rid of. Like most pigmentation disorders, it can be a cause of social stigmatization but will not develop into any form of cancer or serious skin condition.
It is extremely rare to develop a blue skin disorder even with the use and exposure to silver and compounds. In fact, it has to get to a point that the concentration of the cells responsible for the disorder accumulate to about 20% from the normal 1%.
EB skin disorder; genetic disorders of the skin
Epidermolysis Bullosa is frequently called EB skin disorder. It is one of the rare genetic disorders of the skin. In fact, about one in twenty thousand children will be born with it.
Like most genetic disorders, EB skin disorder predisposes the skin to other issues rather than primarily being the problem. EB brings about extreme fragility to the skin. This means that even a seemingly harmless source of trauma can cause painful injuries on the skin.
In children born with the condition, treatment only revolves around measures to prevent potential sources of injuries but not to cure the condition. Genetic disorders such as vitiligo skin disorder and albinism are not fully curable.
6 rare skin conditions in humans
- Dermatographia – it is one of the rare skin conditions that is not harmful as long as fatal conditions are concerned. It results in the skin being very sensitive.
- Argyria – we have already discussed this blue skin disorder earlier in this article. It is not fatal but aesthetically serious.
- Vitiligo – vitiligo skin condition is rare but not as rare as some on this list. About 1 in 100 people will develop it.
- Harlequin ichthyosis – it is one of the genetic disorders of the skin that used to cause a lot of deaths in children. Patients develop cracks and spots on the face.
- Stevens-Johnson Syndrome – here, the skin that covers certain body organs shed off in response to some external compounds such as drugs or steroids.
- Epidermolytic ichthyosis – it is a genetic disorder that can be identified by scaly and reddened joints. It is worst in children.
Other rare skin conditions include; seal disorder, Ichthyosis en confetti, Xeroderma Pigmentosum, Lamellar icthyosis and others.
Picking skin disorder caused by itchy disorders
You find that most people will move to physically try to physically improve a skin condition by rubbing, picking at or even scratching the affected areas. This result in a picking skin disorder referred to as excoriation.
Picking skin disorder is a bit more serious than it may sound. In this case, patients are literally addicted. In fact, affected individuals go to the extent of causing very noticeable damage such as scars and sores in attempts to continue picking.
Unlike disorders caused by identifiable causes such as fungi and bacteria, it is hard to treat conditions such as picking skin disorder. With a ringworm treatment for example, an antifungal, even one available over the counter or at home can get the job done. With addictive behavioral conditions however, continued therapy may be needed.
Best treatment for rare and common skin disorders in humans
Depending on the cause and stage of development, different treatments can prove effective. For example, a penis skin tag can be removed at home with a TagBand device or even a thread. Cancer or lupus are extremely dangerous and should be treated in a hospital.
Since there are more than 100 skin conditions known today, the best approach is to first find out what exactly is the cause of the skin condition. This can be achieved by taking and comparing pictures and images.
Next, try to isolate an activity or product that you have recently introduced into your schedule. For example, steroids and drugs can cause certain body reactions and in the end result in a skin condition.
A good example is meth skin disorders. Meth addicts are known to commonly pick at their skins. This ends up in blisters or sores and marks that resemble a recent heavy acne outbreak.
Meth addicts also experience a phenomenon known as skin crawling. As the name suggests, patients feel like bugs are crawling all over the body, especially the back. Meth skin conditions also include weakened and easily breakable hair.
Ringworm on Neck, Scalp, Face, Foot, Leg and Arm – Causes, Symptoms and Treatmen.
Ringworm or tinea is a fungal infection of the skin. In this case, a strain of fungi grows on a part of the skin and
Swollen Lymph Nodes in Neck, Groin, Armpit, Throat, under the Jaw, Chin.
Lymph nodes are a part of a very complex body system responsible for keeping the body free from microbial infections. Swollen lymph nodes are an
Treatment for Boils on Neck, Thigh, Skin, Vagina, Back, Face and Under Arm.
The armpit is one of the most common body parts that frequently gets infested by boils. In most cases, an armpit boil will result from
How to Remove Scars – Best Remedies and Removal Procedures That Actually Work.
The skin is prone to many types of scars. A burn, a skin tear, surgery or even trauma will result to a scar. A scar
How to Get rid of hickeys fast: Definition, How to cover, overnight removal.
Hickeys are not harmful as far as your health is concerned. They also are not painful and will heal on their own with time. In