Moles are in most cases benign and nothing to make you worried. They are parts of the skin where pigment cells are more accumulated. Black, brown, red and pink are the common colors in which moles can appear. Some are present at birth while others can appear sometime after birth. As a child grows, a mole can become darker or it can lighten. Some will even fade and disappear completely. Such changes will rarely be symptoms of melanoma.
Many people are worried that a mole on the skin may develop into skin cancer. While that is a possibility, only about 3% of a given test population will get melanoma from malignant moles. This is especially found when the moles are changing in size or are irregularly shaped.
Mole on scalp; symptoms of skin cancer
A mole on the scalp can appear on either side of the head, at the back or above the ear. While most of them are not cancerous, have a doctor check them out should any of the following symptoms occur:
- A growing mole – It is common that moles change in size as natural growth and development occurs. However, a mole that is rapidly gaining mass should not be ignored.
- Cancerous cells divide endlessly to form a lump. In malignant moles, you will notice a sudden increase in size and a different appearance. In fact, it will be kind of ugly and probably have more than three colors.
- Too many of them – some people will develop up to 20 moles especially in early adulthood. If the moles are in large numbers, over 20 for example, it is advisable that you get them checked. Even worse, the moles can appear and reappear from time to time.
- Infected mole – if scratched or hit, a mole can bleed or get a blister just like any other body part. However, a mole on the scalp that starts to bleed without an identifiable cause should be checked. Cancerous moles have been known to break into open blisters from time to time.
- Abnormal appearance – a type of mole known as a Spitz nevus can is quite similar to cancerous moles as far as their appearance. They can be tan, pink or red. They are common in teenagers and should worry you unduly. However, if you see a mole resembling a Spitz nevus, with a dome shape and that may be bleeding, better have a doctor check it. Moles are also commonly round with smooth edges. Irregularly shaped moles are not good symptoms. It could be a melanoma growth.
- A massive mole – on average, most moles will not be bigger than a pencil eraser. Some moles, however, cover a relatively large part of the skin. These ones usually are present at birth. All in all, a very massive mole on the scalp measuring more than 7mm should be medically checked. You should have a doctor see if it is a possible concern for cancer.
Moles can grow on any part of the skin. Dark and brown pigmented ones are easily to spot from a distance especially when they occur as pimples on cheeks or on the forehead. Although most of them are not harmful, a doctor should be the one to confirm this if any of the above symptoms occur.
Mole on skin; what they look like
Moles on the skin pictures and images can help you tell a normal one from a cancerous one. You can also consider a fully illustrated video for normal moles and what they should look like. Before that, however, here is the basic information you will need to identify a normal mole.
Common moles measure about 5-6mm. They are symmetrical, round and are evenly pigmented. They appear on parts of the body that are exposed to UV sun rays and can therefore transform into cancerous cells.
A mole on skin can also be dysplastic nevi. These are very different from common moles and are easily taken for malignant tumors. They have blurry edges, are multiple colored and have ridges rather than a flat surface.
Congenital moles are another form in which a mole on the skin can appear. A congenital mole is commonly known as a birthmark since they are formed in the womb. Some of them can cover very large areas of the skin and may continue to develop.
In terms of what they should look like, a mole on skin should have neat borders, be dome-shaped and smooth, not measure more than 7mm and maintain its color and size for a significant length of time. Otherwise, have it checked by a doctor.
The good thing is that you can take pictures and images on the mole on your skin and send them to an online doctor for a diagnosis. This is especially useful when you have a number of queries, such as what white spots on the vagina or other such conditions mean.
Where does a mole on the skin in humans come from?
You may be wondering what it is that causes moles to appear on people. Depending on their type, any of the following can cause moles on the skin:
- Skin pigment is produced by specialized cells known as melanocytes. When these cells accumulate in a single spot, a mole is likely to occur.
- Exposure to direct UV rays from the sun causes cells to spread. This can cause accumulation of pigment cells in a single spot, causing moles. This is the most common cause of moles.
- Changes in hormone levels can also lead to moles. Some develop in the womb and are present at birth.
- Yellowish and rough moles are due to over-active glands responsible for the production of the oil that hydrates the skin. These ones can be removed with a skin tag removal cream.
How to treat a mole on the face
Unless malignant, moles can be treated with home remedies. In fact, most of them do not pose health hazards and can be left alone. However, aesthetic reasons may call for investigation into the means of how to treat moles effectively.
A mole on the face can be treated with any of the following home remedies:
- Apple cider vinegar – apple cider vinegar for skin moles works by corroding the pigmented layers, making way for new, normally colored skin cells to develop
- Tea tree oil – tea tree oil can also be used a home remedy for a herpes cure. It has potent antibacterial and antiviral properties that will inhibit the proliferation of the herpes virus.
- Iodine solution
- A solution of baking soda and castor oil
- Diluted hydrogen peroxide
- Pineapple juice
- Banana peel – you can easily use a banana peel to remove a mole on face by using a bandage to cover the mole with a small portion of the peel. Banana peels are also used for the removal of pimples on the cheeks since they are relatively safe
- Coconut oil
- Raw potato
- Aloe Vera – raw gel from the plant is very effective in inhibiting the spread of fungi. It can also be used for ringworm on neck treatment.
Essential oils are another option on how to treat a mole on face. The main advantage is that these oils will also keep you hydrated and free from microbes that may cause other skin infections on the face. In fact, a combination of essential oils is a much safer option to treat a mole on the eyelid.
Can a mole on the penis occur?
Moles can occur anywhere on the skin. Don’t be surprised to find a mole on the penis. The problem is that spots and bumps are of many different causes especially when they occur on the penis.
You will need to be certain that the certain bump or spot on your penis is actually a mole. If the spot/bump portrays all the symptoms and characteristics of a mole that we have identified, you only need to worry if it bleeds, rapidly enlarges in size, changes color often or is painful. In such cases, get medical help as it could be a cancerous mole on the penis.
Information on the meaning of a mole on the hand
In some religions such as Hindu, the palms are used to predict one’s future and destiny. For example, a mole on the hand located on or near the wrist is thought to predict a coming fall from the way of righteousness.
A mole on the hand or any other part of the body is not likely to have a scientific meaning. However, such meanings can work as placebos, in that they can elevate your spirits or give you the motivation to go on with a certain task or with life itself.
Essential Oils For Warts, Skin Tags and Moles – How to Effectively Use Them.
Essential oils are distilled, naturally occurring oils that are extracted from their source, and carrying the fragrance of their individual source. In most cases, these
How to Remove Scars – Best Remedies and Removal Procedures That Actually Work.
The skin is prone to many types of scars. A burn, a skin tear, surgery or even trauma will result to a scar. A scar
Do Skin Tags, Moles, Genital and Plantar Warts Itch – Irritations and Bleeding.
Most skin conditions are characterized by itchiness. In fact, even some bumps on the tongue may keep urging you to do some scratching. The funny
Doterra and Oregano Oils to remove Skin Tags, Warts and Moles.
Have you ever wondered why it is that flowers and some plants are so attractive and nice smelling? Do you find yourself asking why it
Skin disorders & diseases: blue skin, EB, common, rare, picking, vitiligo.
The skin is bigger than any other body organ. It is also the most exposed organ, having not only to protect internal organs from external
Home Remedy and Removal Methods for Moles, Skin Tags and Warts under Arms.
A skin tag is a tumor, but a benign one. When it occurs on the armpits, it is susceptible to friction and heat, a fact