Baking soda is a common household ingredient. One fact that most people may not be aware of is that baking soda is associated with more than 30 health related benefits.
Acne treatment and skin exfoliation are just some of the benefits of baking soda. It can be used alone or in combination with other ingredients.
The best approach, perhaps, to use baking soda for acne is to make a DIY mask with honey and lemon juice. This recipe is very effective in keeping the skin from excess oil as well as killing acne-causing bacteria.
The main advantage of baking soda for acne use is that it is widely accessible. In fact, you may not even need to go shopping for it.
How to use baking soda for face acne
When it comes to how to use baking soda for face acne, coming up with a DIY mask is the best approach. For one, it is relatively affordable. Also, it is completely natural and will thus not bring along unwanted side effects. This is not to even mention the high level of effectiveness associated with the same.
Baking soda will help with skin exfoliation and softness. Lemon will act as a skin brightener while honey will keep bacteria at bay. Honey will also protect the skin from dehydration and promote faster healing from acne.
- Baking soda (2 tsp)
- Lemon (half or a slice)
- Honey (1 tsp)
- Wash a glass container or dish and leave it to dry
- Mix all the ingredients in the container. For thicker paste, a bit of baking soda can be added
- Rinse your face with lukewarm water, especially to get rid of makeup. Pat dry or leave to air dry
- In circular motions, apply the mixture to the face, excluding eyes and lips. You can also apply the same to the neck for face acne
- Leave the mask to place for about 15 minutes. In that time, you will feel the mask tighten on the skin. If discomfort such as burning sensation is felt, get rid of the mask quickly.
- Use some lukewarm water to rinse the mask off the face
- After that, rinse the face again with cold water. This is meant to keep skin pores closed to keep bacteria out
- Apply an oil-free moisturizer to keep the skin hydrated
This treatment works best when done once per week. You will notice significant reduction in the size of the acne, reduced redness and also a brighter skin.
Baking soda and water for body acne
Baking soda and water for acne is also an effective remedy for body acne. In the absence of honey, this mixture can prove harsh especially for sensitive skins.
- In a glass container of a small dish, make a paste from baking soda with water. Thicker paste is better
- Use some warm water to get rid of dirt from the skin region the paste is to be applied to
- Apply the paste and let it rest for about 4 minutes
- Keep massaging the affected skin region while you wait for the paste to dry and tighten on the skin
- Rinse with warm water to get rid of the paste
- Try this treatment once or twice in a week
This treatment is better used for body rather than for face acne. In some reviews, baking soda has been noted to be harsh on facial skin when used without a face soother such as honey or coconut oil.
Baking soda and honey for face acne
Since lemon juice too has been known to sometimes worsen face acne, it can be left out of a baking soda and honey recipe. In fact, avoid both baking soda and lemon if your skin is pH sensitive.
Baking soda and honey reviews show that it can be very effective in removing blackheads. These are tiny pimples with black coloration at the top.
- To make it, mix baking soda (2 tsp), salt (2 tsp) and honey (1 tsp) in a dish or glass container
- Make sure that the affected area is washed clean with warm water and patted dry
- Apply the mixture and leave it sit for 8 minutes
- Rinse clean with warm water
- Repeat the treatment once in a week till the acne clears
Salt in the mixture adds to baking soda’s ability to absorb excess skin oil. You may want to avoid it if you are prone to dry skin.
You can skip the salt and just use honey and baking soda. The two are the most important ingredients in this case. This mixture is the best for face acne compared to all other baking soda for acne combinations.
Lemon juice and baking soda for cystic acne
These two are very strong ingredients. They penetrate deep into the skin and can actually worsen acne scarring. Avoid this combination if you have a sensitive skin or already suffering from severe acne scarring. The mixture can however help with tough skin and for cystic acne.
- To make lemon juice and baking soda for acne mixture, add baking soda (2 tsp) and brown sugar (2 tsp) to ¼ cup of lemon juice
- Ensure the skin region to apply the mixture on is clean and well dried
- Apply the mixture and leave for 15 minutes
- Repeat the treatment 1 time a week
Note that even this powerful mixture will not get rid of cystic acne completely. It will only help reduce inflammation thus reducing the chances of the cysts rupturing and causing scars. For cystic acne, clinical treatment is usually necessary.
Try this remedy for body acne rather than face acne. It works better where the skin is tough. In fact, it can also help you forego clinical wart removal cost. This is because its use extends to other skin conditions, the likes of warts. Vaginal warts are not included in this case.
Baking soda, lemon juice, honey and water reviews and results
On a lot of forums regarding possible solutions for acne, you will find this combination advocated for. One or two ingredients can be skipped sometimes.
From reviews and user experiences, the following results are to be expected when making use of baking soda with any of the above named ingredients:
- Whitens brown teeth and yellow nails
- Helps get rid of inflammations, acne treatment included
- Treats fungal infections such as dandruff and nail fungus
- Can reduce muscle and joint pain
- Improves smell and hair appearance
- Fights bad body smell
- Is a pH regulator
- Promotes lighter skin
- Can help with sunburns
- Promotes stomach health
Note that baking soda can also be taken through mouth. It is in fact from this mode of application that the benefits related to stomach health and body pH regulation come.
For oral application, the best approach is to come up with detox water. Simple steps are involved.
- Into a glass, pour some distilled water
- Add into the water one teaspoon of baking soda
- Measure ½ a glass of lemon juice and add it to the solution
- Shake the mixture well
- Take the solution every morning for 2 weeks
A lot of the uses of baking soda iare associated with side effects such as imbalanced levels of sodium in the body. For people with heart related complications, the solution may be of undesirable effects.
Some reviews have linked this combination of baking soda and lemon in water with fighting cancer and sometimes acting like lupus medications. This is however yet to be confirmed by clinical studies. For the time being, consider this simple remedy that may not only succeed in keeping you free from acne but also promote a number of health benefits.
You can always look out for more recipes and different ways in which baking soda can be used. For example, some reviews advocate for its use with natural products such as apple cider vinegar. Others advocate for its use with herbal and essential oils.
Different types of Acne on face: best treatment with pictures.
Acne is one of the most common of all skin conditions. Unfortunately, many of us are not up to date with all that is involved
How to use tea tree oil for Acne: treatment, reviews, before and after results.
Acne ranks among the most common of all skin conditions. It is not that harmful and will actually heal on its own. However, reasons for
8 best essential oils for Acne – Treat acne scars & prone skin effectively at home.
Acne outbreaks are common regardless of age and gender. Although they predominately appear in the teenage years, older ones and babies are still occasionally afflicted
How to use aloe vera gel for Acne: before and after user results.
Aloe Vera has been known for its skin related benefits for centuries. Its use dates back to ancient Egyptian civilization. As a desert plant, aloe
Acne during pregnancy in the body: signs, symptoms and treatments.
The body undergoes various notable changes during pregnancy. Acne is one of the changes. It can also worsen already existing acne pimples. Acne during pregnancy
Best over the counter Acne medicine that works: medications and pills.
Over the counter medications and products to treat acne offer a less expensive and widely accessible option to get rid of annoying zits. With so