Warts disappear on their own after the intervention of immune system. It is estimated that 1 in 5 warts will be gone in 6 months while only 3 in 10 warts will persist after 2 years.
Common warts usually appear as flesh-colored or pink raised lumps. Some are white. To differentiate them, look for firm, rough and small parts of the skin that are elevated. They often appear on fingers and hands. Common warts are very common indeed. The chances of developing them at one point in life are set at 75%.
Most people, however, don’t find them appealing and will go for a treatment option. Luckily, there are many options you can choose from in relation to wart treatment.
How to get rid of common warts on hands with a duct tape
Duct tape is an often-used option for how to get rid of common warts on the hands, especially on a finger. The first thing you will need to do is purchase the duct tape itself. This can be done locally over the counter.
Next, identify the size of the wart you want to remove and measure a duct tape piece that will cover it completely. Before applying it, ensure that the affected part is cleaned and well dried with a wash cloth dedicated to that purpose only. In fact, replace the wash cloth the next time you need to use it. Apply the duct tape on the wart and wait for 6 days, a period after which you will repeat the process.
Using duct tape for common wart treatment on a finger, on the leg and basically any other body part will work best when used with salicylic acid, as discussed below.
Common wart treatment and removal
Salicylic acid and duct tape are perhaps the most effective common wart removal methods that will always work. For best results, the two should be used at the same time.
- First, soak the affected area in warm water for about 5 minutes. This helps soften the warts so that the salicylic acid can seep into the skin.
- Gently rub the wart with a pumice stone to get rid of the surface dead skin
- Apply the salicylic acid directly to the entire wart
- Cover the wart with duct tape and leave it for 6 days
When this period is over, remove the duct tape, soak the wart in warm water and repeat the pumice stone procedure. It is advisable that you use a new pumice stone or disinfect the current one you are using. Otherwise, you will keep the wart-causing virus in cycle.
Keep repeating the process until nothing of the wart remains. This procedure can take up to 2 months to completely get rid of the wart. It is however very effective and will leave only a minor a scar.
Common wart removal on legs and on hands
Warts occurring on less sensitive parts like on fingers, on feet and on hands can be removed with over the counter gels, patches, ointments and pads. This is because most people are flexible enough to wait for these products to work, bearing in mind that such body parts are less likely to draw attention.
Over the counter common wart removal products such as Compound W or Duofilm can take some time to get rid of common wart but are effective in the end.
Most of them make use of salicylic acid. When applied, the acid will keep corroding the wart gradually. Eventually, you will barely notice the bump that used to be there. Again, you will be required to keep using a pumice stone to get rid of the dead skin layers of the wart. This method will require patience.
However, neither clinical treatments nor over the counter options will work on their own. In fact, a doctor may advise you to keep using over the counter common wart treatment methods while still going for clinical appointments.
Keep comparing before and after images or pictures to know if a common wart removal option you are using is working. If not, you can always approach your doctor for further guidance.
How to get rid of common warts; clinical treatment
Since some warts do not respond to over the counter treatments, you may want to visit a clinic to have them removed by a doctor. Any of the following procedures can be options on how to get rid of common warts in a clinic:
- Use of liquid nitrogen to freeze the warts. In liquid form, nitrogen is a very cold substance that kills the blood vessels inside the warts. Lack of nutrients leads to the warts falling off after some time. This method may require several appointments to work effectively.
- Laser treatment therapies that see the warts poisoned with carbon dioxide
- Minor surgeries that will have a doctor cut off the warts with a scalpel. This is not common, since warts may still recur. Cutting off skin tags is a better option, since skin tags are not caused by a virus, unlike warts.
- The warts can also be removed with an electrically operated needle.
- Some acids including salicylic acid can be applied directly to the warts to break them down layer by layer.
- Injections with an antiviral medicine can also be used when other treatments have failed. Antiviral medications will kill the virus responsible for occurrence of the warts, especially severe vaginal herpes. This method may not be used during pregnancy.
- To ‘boost’ the immune system, an antigen can be injected into the body. This arouses disease fighting body cells and in the process promotes self-heal from warts. It is not often done in people with weak immunity, diabetes or during pregnancy.
Common wart treatment with a home remedy
Common warts on the feet or even on sensitive areas such as the genitals can be removed with a home remedy. Although it can be hard to tell whether the home remedy you are using indeed removed the warts or they just ended up healing naturally, before and after pictures can still help you keep track of the improvement.
Any home remedy from this list can be used for common wart treatment. In fact you can use a combination of them to hasten the healing process.
- Castor oil and baking soda
- Tea tree oil – it can also be used to remove a skin tag on the nipple
- Pineapple juice
- Apple cider vinegar – it has antiviral properties which may get rid of the HPV virus causing warts. Herpes on the finger or other less sensitive parts can be treated with this home remedy. Caution should be taken since strong solutions can cause corrosion to the skin.
- Banana peel
- Vitamin E and C pastes
- Bee propolis
- Aloe Vera – aloe Vera is also very defective in curing skin infections. A ringworm cream containing this product for instance will almost certainly work effectively.
- Paste made from aspirin
How to get rid of common warts; understanding the causes
Sometimes, vaguely understanding a disease is the main cause of spread and severe infections. Common warts are caused by a virus. The virus can be spread from one person to another and from one part of the body to another.
One of the ways in which the spread can be avoided is by getting treatment when the symptoms arise. Another way is by maintaining personal hygiene such as not sharing foot wear and underwear or other inner clothing. In fact, the chances of getting a wart on foot by wearing another infected person’s shoes are more than 70%.
If you have any reason to suspect of having contracted common warts or are experiencing the symptoms, the best thing is to visit a clinic and have a doctor run a diagnosis. You can also take pictures and images of the affected skin part and send them to an online doctor.
Doterra and Oregano Oils to remove Skin Tags, Warts and Moles.
Have you ever wondered why it is that flowers and some plants are so attractive and nice smelling? Do you find yourself asking why it
Difference between Genital Warts and Skin Tags – How to Identify Them with Pictures.
Warts on the genital region and skin tags are among the most common skin conditions today. It is unlikely that you will go your whole
Skin Tag on Eyelid – Best Treatment for Skin Tags, Wart, and Mole Around or Under the Eye.
Skin tags have a tendency to appear around or under the eye, especially on the eyelid. The exact reasons as to why this is so
Perianal Skin Tag and Warts Removal – Causes, Symptoms, Treatment.
The area around and in the anus fosters the development of several skin growths and conditions. These include warts, hemorrhoids, anal fissures and skin tags.
“How Do” and “What kind” of Doctors Remove Moles, Skin tags and warts?
Common skin growths such as moles, skin tags and warts usually heal on their own even without clinical treatment. Just like canker sores, waiting for
Essential Oils For Warts, Skin Tags and Moles – How to Effectively Use Them.
Essential oils are distilled, naturally occurring oils that are extracted from their source, and carrying the fragrance of their individual source. In most cases, these