Genital warts are sexually transmitted infections. They are caused by human papillomavirus (HPV). They account for a very large percent of sexually transmitted infections. In fact, they rank second in commonality after chlamydia. They occur in men as well as women. However, studies have shown that women are more susceptible than men. Treatment for genital warts is available. But unless the human papilloma virus is directly dealt with, infections will keep on coming back.
So what are genital warts? There are many predisposing factors for HPV virus. They include:
- Unprotected sex
- Weak immune system
- Mother to unborn child
- Rape and other forms of sexual harassment
Early symptoms include tender growths that develop on genital areas, which are mainly fleshly colored. On their own, these types of warts do not pose serious health effects. However, they are unattractive to look at and are sources of stress especially to women.
Also, they increase the risk of developing cervical cancer, caused by a different strain of human papilloma virus. It is therefore very important to learn more about how to cure this type of warts.
Symptoms of genital warts
It is unlikely that you will notice genital warts by physically seeing them. It is better if you can browse through warts pictures and images. You might be mistaking a hemorrhoid for a wart or vice versa. Below are the symptoms that can help in differentiating warts of the genitals:
- They manifest in form of single or clustered warts. It mainly depends on the strength of your immune system, the number of days after exposure and the intensity of the infestation.
- They usually are small. In some cases, they can take on the skin pigmentation or a slightly darker coloring.
- They are smooth and will feel like bumps to the touch; it is for this reason that constant friction or touching will damage the warts and cause bleeding. You may notice blood in the stool or when having sex.
- They may spread to other parts of the body; that is to say that they will appear on the mouth or lips; this especially in cases where a patient had oral sex with an infected individual.
- Unpleasant vaginal discharge; you may notice slight changes in the pigment, smell and intensity of vaginal discharges.
- Bleeding may occur on the affected areas. This is especially likely if the warts are pricked or subjected to friction.
- Constant itching around the female genitals and the penis shaft.
Other than the vaginal area and penis, warts also develop in the following areas:
- Inside and outside the anus
Treatment for genital warts in women and men
As identified earlier, warts in women as well as warts in men are caused by HPV virus. As it is with all viral infections, the virus responsible for this type of wart will never really leave your body once infection has occurred. In fact, you will keep experiencing outbreaks, most of which will come and go after short periods and after treatment.
Never use over the counter remedies to treat warts on the vagina or warts on the penis. They will only make the case worse. For best results, it is important that you visit a doctor, one who will prescribe the following wart cure remedies:
- Trichloroacetic acid – This wart cure removes warts by breaking down the proteins forming the warts on the penis or vagina. This doesn’t mean that it differentiates between healthy body cells and warts, but will corrode any part of skin it is applied to. It works best for small warts.
- Podophyllotoxin – It simply works by poisoning the wart cells. It works best for warts occurring in clusters. Again, be careful when applying this remedy. As already stated, there is no way the creams can tell the difference between healthy body cells and wart cells.
- Imiquimod – Recommended for larger warts. When applied, the immune system is stimulated to attack the infesting warts. It is not advisable for pregnant women.
The above wart cures apply different strategies to cure warts. It is important to remember that they should not be used without a doctor’s prescription.
How to cure mild genital warts
Physical ablation is the best option available for curing mild genital warts. This option requires that a qualified doctor is the one to physically get rid of warts. There are four options to choose from, all which will be explained further by your doctor. They include:
- Surgical excision – It is a popular wart removal operation. The bottom line is that the warts are surgically cut and removed. Here, you will be put under an anesthetic, so you need not to worry about the pain.
- Laser surgery – This is the best solution to remove anal warts occurring deep in the anus or urethra. It is applicable for curing warts in women as well as warts in men. This type of operation is a bit more expensive.
- Cryotherapy – This method uses liquefied nitrogen to freeze warts. It works best for vaginal warts, especially ones occurring around the vulva. Although remedies to freeze off warts are available over the counter, it’s best to let this procedure be carried out by a doctor.
- Electro-surgery – It is a complex operation which involves burning mild vaginal warts with a wire that carries a current. It isn’t as scary as it sounds. In fact, it is the best cure for heavy infestations of warts occurring in large clusters.
How to diagnose genital warts in women and men
Diagnosing vaginal warts is a bit more complicated that diagnosing warts on the penis. In the former case, a doctor may be forced to carry out a pelvic examination. For the later, it mainly involves looking for bumps on the penis.
The diagnosis will involve searching for the above described symptoms of this type of warts. Also, a doctor may use a pap smear or an acidic solution to diagnose a form of genital warts. You will also need to answer some questions about your sexual history. Here, it is important that you trust in the discretion of the doctor. Tell them any details you might remember about the possibility of having contracted the HPV virus. In addition, you should consider getting further tests for the HPV virus known to cause cervical cancer.
Home remedies as treatment for genital warts
If it is something other than essential oils for warts, stay away from home remedies as treatment for genital warts. In fact, just stay away from any form of home remedies as solutions to remove warts on genital areas.
Let your doctor carry out an examination and determine which treatment is best for your case. In attempting to cure genital warts with home remedies, you might end up worsening the situation or even opening yourself up for other infections unnecessarily.
It is important that recovery options and support be given to genital warts patients. Studies have shown that the reason as to why there are so many widespread occurrences of this infection is because people shy away from getting the necessary help. Talk to your partner if you notice any symptoms of this infection. Consult a doctor and go through the available treatment options. As you will find out, genital warts can be very effectively managed, and in the process you can avoid complicated health consequences like cervical cancer.
Do Skin Tags, Moles, Genital and Plantar Warts Itch – Irritations and Bleeding.
Most skin conditions are characterized by itchiness. In fact, even some bumps on the tongue may keep urging you to do some scratching. The funny
Causes and Removal Products for Skin Tags, Warts and Moles on Nipples.
Skin tags can appear on any parts of the body. Their infestation tends to increase in certain areas, however. Generally, they mainly occur on armpits,
Castor Oil for Skin, Skin Tags, Moles and Warts – Best Way to Use It Safely At Home.
Castor oil is extracted from the seeds of the naturally wild-growing Ricinus communis. Nowadays, plantations for these plants have been established. Its medicinal properties were
How to Get rid of Plantar warts: Causes, Treatment & home remedies.
It is likely that you will get plantar warts at least once in your life time. These are a type of warts that appear on
Tea Tree Oil for Fungus, Warts, Skin Tags and Moles – Usage and Benefits.
Tea tree oil should not be confused with tea oil. The latter can be identified by its yellow coloring. It is extracted from the leaves
Filiform Warts Removal – All Causes, Symptoms, Treatment and Home Remedies.
The appearance of filiform warts is a bit unique compared to other types of warts. They are characterized by long projections which can measure up