Scabies is among the most popular skin infestations in the world today. Just like many other skin infestations, scabies is highly contagious. In fact, it is advised that anyone close to a scabies patient get necessary treatment even if they have not suffered the infestation themselves. Its spread is encouraged by cloth and bedding sharing. Skin contact also accounts for a good percentage of scabies spreading.
Effective scabies treatment remedies are easily available in hospitals. Note that scabies is not a disease caused by microorganisms. For this reason, it is not practical to develop oral medications to it off. Instead, creams and lotions are usually made use of. Here, it requires that a prescription to gotten first from a doctor. In this article, you will learn about the available over the counter, medical and home treatment remedies for scabies.
What is scabies; definition for scabies
Scabies belongs to a class of contagious skin infestations. A small mite of genus Sarcoptes is responsible for this infestation. The mite wholly depends on humans to go through its life cycle. At first, these mites lay their eggs on the part of skin they have infested. With time, the eggs will hatch and the mites will continue with the rest of their life cycle on the infested individual.
It is the fact that these mites can be easily transferred from one person to another that causes a lot of scabies spread. In fact, scabies transmission is more effective in hospitals, nursing homes, prisons, schools and orphanages.
Mild forms of scabies known as Norwegian scabies are common in people with weak immune systems. This can be caused by malnutrition or old age. As it is to be expected, this from of scabies is harder to treat.
The particular mite that causes scabies in humans is not transferred from animals. In any definition of scabies you will encounter, it probably will be talking about scabies in humans. It is an important piece of information to know before learning how to get rid of scabies.
Scabies symptoms in humans
There are several specific scabies symptoms in humans that will notify you of a scabies attack. All the same, the symptoms may take some time to manifest. In fact, it can take up to a month and a half to start noticing the first scabies symptoms after exposure. The symptoms include:
- Itching –This is no way the normal itching you are used to. It is intense and the more you try to get rid of it the more it keeps coming back. The situation worsens at night.
- Rash – Rashes will get to develop at the particular parts you have attempted to get rid of the itch. It gets widespread with time.
- Sores – These result from constant scratching. With time and more scratching, the sores may open and become infected.
- Burrows on skin – You may notice some small burrow-like patterns in parts any folded parts of your skin. These burrows are not easily identifiable. It is for this reason that you should have cases of mild itching and bumpy feel on your skin checked by a doctor.
- Skin bumps – These ones are small and usually red. With time, they may develop to form small skin blisters.
The above scabies symptoms in humans mostly occur in the following areas:
- Between fingers
- Genital areas
- Below breasts
- Upper part of the elbow
- On Penis
- On fac
There are many images available on scabies. Browse such galleries, just to be clear on what a scabies infestation looks like. The fact is that attacks may range and change especially with toddlers and the elderly. Also, infestations may vary in their mildness in response to the parts of the body affected.
Best medication scabies treatment
A scabies infestation can be gotten rid of with prescribed medication. It is discouraged against using over the counter medication for scabies treatment. As I pointed out earlier, scabies is highly contagious. This means that using over the counter medication may leave some cases untreated.
According to CDC, a center for disease control in the US, over the counter remedies will not completely get rid of a scabies infestation. However, home treatment by care takers is allowed, especially in cases that the infestation is not that mild.
Scabies is usually treated using a prescribed cream. The cream is applied on the affected areas, which in turn kills off the scabies causing mites. Such creams come in specific percentages of concentration. It is for this reason why it is not advisable to access them over the counter. Commonly prescribed medications include:
- Permethrin cream
- Sulfur ointment
- Lindane lotion
- Crotamiton cream
- Benzoate lotion
As you can see from their names, these medications are either in form of a cream or a lotion. A GP will prescribe the best cream or lotion after examining your case. In addition, you may be provided with additional medications to help relive the itch or the swelling. For some extreme infestations, you will be provided with anti-biotics to control any mode of bacterial infestation through the open sores.
In some rare cases, ivermectin can be prescribed. This is a pill to be taken orally and only comes to play in most extreme cases of a scabies infestation. The best thing is to approach a doctor and get the necessary directions. For example, most patients report having worsened effects during the first day of using prescribed medication. This situation changes significantly with continued use of the medication.
How to get rid of scabies with home remedies
Various home remedies have been suggested as effective home treatment scabies. However, most of these remedies only seek to reduce the effects of scabies mites’ infestations. To have the condition cleared off ones and for all, it is best that you get medically prescribed medications. This is along with all family members or people you may have come into direct contacts with. The fact is that scabies mite can survive up to 3 months outside a human body.
Below are some of the most popular how to cure scabies home remedies:
- Tea tree oil – A common candidate in lists of best oils for skin tags, tea tree oil is also a scabies home treatment remedy. In fact, it is one of the few home treatment remedies that actually kill the scabies causing mite. You can apply tea tree oil on face or even on penis.
- Cayenne pepper – Mainly works by reducing the intensity of experienced pain and itching. Some of its loyal users claim that it can kill the scabies mite. This claim is not backed by any scientific findings however. Be careful when using this product, it can cause burning to the applied areas.
- Neem oil – This home treatment oil for scabies is popular for its abilities to slow down the spread and multiplication of scabies mite. The best thing is that it has less if any side effects and can thus be applied on sensitive areas like on face or on penis.
- Turmeric – It is its anti-inflammatory abilities that make it a good candidate for scabies treatment home remedies. Although it does not kill the scabies mite, it helps alleviate scabies symptoms in humans.
How to get rid of scabies in humans with over the counter medication
Earlier in this article, I explained the reasons as to why over the counter medications are not available or effective. However, scabies infestation and transmission can be lessened through the use of various over the counter products.
- Disinfectant soap – Constant application of disinfectant soap and soaking infected areas with cold water can help ease the symptoms of scabies. You will not need a prescription to get such products.
- Creams and lotions – It doesn’t have to be a cream or a lotion specifically meant to heal scabies. There are various over the counter creams and lotions that can be applied to itching or scaly body parts. These ones can block or delay the rate at which the mites find their way around the infested areas. You can even use some of the creams you use to prevent razor bumps. The idea here is to help relieve pain as well as slow down the mites.
- Antihistamines – These ones are great remedies to help deal with any allergic reactions that may be arising from the scabies infestation. If your doctor can advise the best antihistamine you should make use of, the better it will be for you.
All the same, it is important that you also observe good hygienic practices. For example, avoid unnecessary clothes and bedding sharing. Ensure that you take regular baths and be on the lookout for any of the discussed scabies symptoms. To get a clear image of how scabies infestations appear, search for various pictures on scabies.
Report any case of scabies outbreak to the relevant authority. This is very important as it helps reduce the rate of transmission. To add on that, get medical attention if you have come to close contact with a person infested by scabies.