Warts are benign skin tumors that are caused by human papillomavirus. This virus causes a rapid multiplication of the topmost layer of the skin causing them to clump up, resulting in a wart. Given enough time, warts will be destroyed by your immune system. However, this can take months or even years before it happens.
Naturally occurring warts will not in any way pose major health concerns. Nonetheless, they be very irritating sometimes, a fact that makes it important to learn how to get rid of warts fast.
Wart removal; what causes warts
Viruses, human papillomavirus, to be specific is responsible for warts. It causes particular areas of the skin to experience a heightened rate of cell division. These viruses only attack the top layer of the skin, a fact that makes a wart protrude from the surface.
If you happen to have an open sore, and then come into contact with someone who has warts, it is likely that you will contract the virus too. It is also spread through the sharing of personal items like towels or toothbrushes. This is especially true when it comes to oral warts. People who have weak immune systems are at a higher risk of getting warts. All the same, anyone can get a wart.
You can prevent warts from spreading or even prevent yourself from contracting them in the very first place. Below are some of the strategies you can make use of:
- Avoid direct skin to skin contact with an infected person, especially if there are open sores on any part of your body. Sores provide perfect entry points for HPV virus.
- Avoid sharing personal care items. These include tooth brushes, towels, socks, and clothes.
- Don’t keep touching or picking at warts. This habit will transmit them to uninfected parts of the body.
- Avoid going around barefooted, especially when sharing floors or a bathroom with an infected person. The same goes for swimming pools or public bathrooms.
- Keep your feet dry and clean. Change your socks on daily basis, and keep your foot wear a personal affair.
- Go for a cure immediately after you notice a wart infestation. It isn’t that the wart will develop into something serious, but delaying treatment will increase the risk of it being transmitted to other body parts or to people close to you.
- Look through various images on all types of warts. The fact is that warts can be easily confused with other skin infestations. With clearly illustrated pictures, it will be easier to recognize a wart when you see one.
How to get rid of warts; types and symptoms of warts
There are various types of warts known today. They include:
- Plantar warts – They usually occur on feet. They appear as hardened spots, which are painful when walking. This type of wart is most common in people who spend most of their time barefooted or in wet climate conditions.
- Common warts – They are common on elbows, on hands and on fingers. They can be recognized by their rough texture and dome-shaped appearance. As their name suggests, they are the type of wart we are most familiar with.
- Filiform warts – They usually occur on the face, in the mouth or on the lip. In most cases, they take on the color of the surrounding skin. It is advisable that you don’t try to cure them with home remedies.
- Periungual warts – They usually occur on fingers or on toes.
- Flat warts – These ones are most common and more persistent. They can occur anywhere on the face, on the hands or legs. Like their name suggests, they are flat at the top.
How to get rid of warts with home remedies
Several home remedies can effectively get rid of warts if used correctly. They include:
- Tea tree oil – Just soak the entire wart in tea tree oil for several days. It is important that you bandage the wart after application to prevent the oil from wearing off. For better results, use tea tree oil with cloves.
- Aloe Vera – This remedy works best if applied directly from the plant. Squeeze off the juice and apply it directly on the wart. Keep in mind that you can buy processed forms of this remedy in a store.
- Aspirin – Make a paste out of crushed aspirin and water. Keep applying it to the wart for several days. It is important that you do not skip daily applications.
- Baking powder – Get some castor oil and mix it with baking powder into a paste. Again, apply it directly on the wart, ensuring that you do not skip daily applications.
- Garlic – Dilute it with some water and apply it on the wart. A bandage will help keep the applied garlic in place even while you are sleeping. Here, ensure that you keep applying the garlic on hourly basis.
- Pineapple juice – Apply pineapple juice as many times as you can. It is rich in citric acid and will digest the wart with time.
Some of these home remedies may fail to produce the expected results. When this happens, try out a different product and see if it will work better.
How to get rid of warts; symptoms that will need the attention of a doctor
In a good number of cases, some symptoms of warts dictate the need for a doctor’s attention. They include:
- When there is confusion as to whether it is a wart or a tumor, seek medical advice. Tumors can be very dangerous especially when left untreated. This is worsened by the fact that cancerous tumors are not painful in the beginning as are warts.
- In situations that you have tried various home remedies to no success.
- In case you have a more severe infestation of warts. It may be caused by a heavy attack of the HPV virus.
- When the warts won’t stop growing in size; this also includes cases where the warts have irregular shapes, especially around the edges.
- If the warts occur in sensitive parts like on the face or the lips. Note that for such cases you will have to go for the optimum wart removal medicine or even a surgical procedure. This is to help avoid cases of scarring and further infestations.
How to get rid of plantar warts and warts on feet
Like all types of warts, plantar warts will disappear on their own with time. But it is important to learn how to get rid of plantar warts since they may cause you pain when walking. Below are the steps to follow:
- Wash and file off the dead skin on the affected parts of your feet. This will ensure that whoever remedy you are going to apply to the warts on feet will actually get into the warts themselves.
- Apply salicylic acid to the affected parts. Salicylic acid ranks among the best removal products for plantar warts. You can access salicylic acid in form of over the counter remedy known as Compound W.
- Fix tape to the warts on your feet. Here, ensure that the tape fits perfectly over the particular warts you want to remove. Let it stay in that position for a week. After that, peel it off, soak your feet in warm water and file off the top-most layers of the wart. Repeat the process till the wart is completely gone.
- Make use of freezing methods. Here, you can either choose to buy wart freezing compounds or visit a doctor for the operation. It is important that you find out more about how to get rid of warts on feet using over the counter compounds like Compound W. Note that a doctor might be forced to use an anesthetic to reduce the discomfort felt during the wart removal freeze.
- If all of the above steps prove ineffective, visit a clinic to have the warts either surgically removed or removed through a laser treatment.
How to get rid of warts fast; best remover products for warts
Most people are not willing to wait until a wart disappears on its own. This is especially true with oral warts or warts occurring on the face. It is also a major concern for anal warts removal. As far as remedies for getting rid of warts fast, several options exist. Most if not all will require medical attention. They include:
- Chemical peels – Like the earlier discussed salicylic acid, chemical peels work by corroding the layers of the wart till it is removed completely. Don’t worry about getting your skin corroded, the chemical concentrations in these peels are standardized.
- Surgery – This includes laser surgery or surgically cutting off the wart. Although it will require that several recovery procedures be followed, this method is fast and effective. It is preferable for removing warts occurring on sensitive parts like the face. Ensure that you ask your doctor about wart removal cost on face before going ahead with the surgery. The cost will range anywhere from $250 to $600.
- Cryotherapy – This treatment method is common in removing cancerous tumors. All the same, it still can be effectively used for wart removal or even razor bumps treatment.
- Medications –Medicine like retinoid cream can be prescribed for wart removal.