Moles are in most cases benign and nothing to get you worried. They are parts of the skin where pigment cells are more accumulated. Black, brown, red and pink are the common colors in which moles can appear. Some are present at birth while others can appear sometime after birth. As a child grows, a mole can become darker or lighten. Some will even fade and disappear completely. Such changes will rarely be symptoms of melanoma.
Many people are worried that a mole on skin may develop to skin cancer. While that is a possibility, about 3% of a given test population will get melanoma from malignant moles. This is especially when the moles are changing in size or are irregularly shaped.
Mole on scalp; symptoms of skin cancer
A mole on scalp can appear on either side of the head, at the back or above the ear. While most of them are not cancerous, have a doctor check them out should any of the following symptoms occur:
- A growing mole – It is common that moles change in size as natural growth and development occurs. However, a mole that is rapidly gaining mass should not pass without worrying you.
- Cancerous cells divide tirelessly to form a lump. In malignant moles, you will notice a sudden increase in size and a different appearance. In fact, it will be kind of ugly and probably have more than three colors.
- Too many of them – some people will develop up to 20 moles especially in early adulthood. If the moles are to be in large numbers, over 20 for example, it is advisable that you get them checked. Even worse, the moles can be appearing and reappearing from time to time.
- Infected mole – if scratched or hit, a mole can bleed or get a blister just like any other body part. However, a mole on scalp that starts to bleed without an identifiable cause should get checked. Cancerous moles have been known to break into open blisters from time to time.
- Abnormal appearance – a type of mole known as a Spitz nevus can is largely similar to cancerous moles in relation to appearance. They can be tan, pink or red. They are common in teenagers and should not get you worried. However, if you see a mole resembling a Spitz nevus, with a dome shape and is bleeding, better have a doctor check it. Moles are also commonly round with smooth edges. Irregular shaped moles are not good symptoms. It can be a melanoma growth.
- A massive mole – on average, most moles will not be bigger than an eraser. Some moles however cover a relatively large part of the skin. These ones usually are present at birth. All in all, a very massive mole on scalp measuring more than 7mm should be medically checked. You should have a doctor see if it is a possible cause of cancer.
Moles can grow on any part of the skin. Dark and brown pigmented ones are easily to spot from a distance especially when they occur as pimples on cheeks or on the forehead. Although most of them are not harmful, a doctor should be the one to confirm so in case any of the above symptoms occur.
Mole on skin; how it look like
Mole on skin pictures and images can help you tell a normal one from a cancerous one. You can also consider a fully illustrated video for normal moles; how it look like. Before that however, here is the basic information you will need to identify a normal mole.
Common moles measure about 5-6mm. they are symmetrical, round and are evenly pigmented. They appear on parts of the body that are exposed to UV sun rays and can therefore transform into cancerous cells.
A mole on skin can also be dysplastic nevi. These are very different from common moles are easily taken form malignant tumors. They have blurry edges, are multiple colored and have ridges rather than a flat surface.
Congenital moles are another type in which a mole on skin can appear in form of. A congenital mole is commonly known as a birthmark since they are formed in the womb. Some of them can cover very large areas of the skin and may continue to develop.
In terms of how it look like, a mole on skin should have neat borders, dome-shaped, smooth, not measure more than 7mm and maintain its color and size for a significant length of time. Otherwise, have it checked by a doctor.
The good thing is that you can nowadays take pictures and images on a mole on skin and send them to an online doctor for a diagnosis. This is especially when you have a number of queries, such as what some white spots on vagina or such conditions mean.
Where does a mole on skin in people come from?
You may be wondering what it is that causes moles to appear in people. Depending on their type, any of the following can cause moles on skin:
- Skin pigment is produced by specialized cells known as melanocytes. When these cells accumulate in a single spot, a mole is likely to occur.
- Exposure to direct UV rays from the sun causes cells to spread. This can cause accumulation of pigment cells in a single spot causing moles. This is the most common cause of moles.
- Changes in hormone levels can also lead to moles. Some develop in the womb and are present at birth.
- Yellowish and rough moles are due to over active glands responsible for the production of the oil that hydrates the skin. These ones can be removed with a skin tag removal cream.
How to treat a Mole on face
Unless malignant, moles can be treated with home remedies. In fact, most of them do not pose health hazards and can be left to exist. However, aesthetic reasons may call for means of how to treat moles in people.
A mole on face can be treated with any of the following home remedies:
- Apple cider vinegar – apple cider vinegar for skin moles works by corroding the pigmented layers making way for new normally colored skin cells to develop
- Tea tree oil – tea tree oil can also be used a home remedy for herpes cure. It has potent antibacterial and antiviral properties that will inhibit the proliferation of herpes virus.
- Iodine solution
- A solution of baking soda and castor oil
- Diluted hydrogen peroxide
- Pineapple juice
- Banana peel – you can easily use a banana peel to remove a mole on face by using a bandage to cover the mole with a small portion of the peel. Banana peels are also used for pimples on cheeks removal since they are relatively safe
- Coconut oil
- Raw potato
- Aloe Vera raw gel from the plant is very effective in inhibiting the spread of fungi. It can also be used for ringworm on neck treatment.
Essential oils are another option on how to treat a mole on face. The main advantage is that these oils will also keep you hydrated and free from microbial that may cause other skin infections on the face. In fact, a combination of essential oils is a much safer option to treat a mole on eyelid.
Can a mole on penis occur in people?
Moles can occur anywhere on the skin. Don’t be surprised to find a mole on penis. The problem is that spots and bumps are of many different causes especially when they occur on the penis.
You will need to be certain that a certain bump or spot on you penis is a mole. If the spot/bump portrays all the symptoms and characteristics of a mole that we have identified, you only need to worry if it bleeds, rapidly enlarges in size, changes color often or is painful. In such cases, get medical help for it could be a cancerous mole on penis.
Information on meaning of a mole on hand
In some religions such as Hindu, the palms are used to predict one’s future, destiny and such. For example, a mole on hand located on near the wrist is thought to predict a coming fall-out from the way of righteousness.
A mole on hand or any other part of the body is not likely to have a scientific meaning in people all in all. However, such meanings can work as placebos, in that they can elevate your spirits or give you’re the motivation to go on with a certain task or life itself.