Keeping the pubic area shaven is quite a popular practice, especially for bikini wearers. The problem is that the region is quite reactive to the razor and will almost always develop razor bumps.
It is only natural to wonder what the reason is that some people can achieve so much a smooth pubic area, even after shaving regularly. The main reason behind it is that such people maintain good shaving habits and skills, which we will discuss in this article.
Causes of razor bumps on the genital area and pictures
Although it is relatively easy to tell a razor bump from a pimple or even a skin tag, the possibility of confusing between them all should not be ruled out. You may need to browse through pictures for the different skin conditions that can be confused with razor bumps.
Generally, a razor bump will appear some time after shaving. In women, the bikini area is mostly affected. In men, the bumps can appear on the penile shaft too. Any of the following can cause them:
- Shaving too closely to the skin
- Use of soaps in the place of shaving gels
- Overusing shaving razors
- Shaving against the gradient
- People with curled hairs
How to get rid of razor bumps on the vagina and bikini area in women
Here are easy ways to how to get rid of razor bumps on the vagina and bikini area:
- The best time to get the hairs off is just after a bath. In that moment, the skin is usually exfoliated and well hydrated.
- Rather than a shaving cream, make use of a shaving gel when keeping the pubic and bikini area shaven. Creams are known to cause blockage to the hair follicles, a factor that increases the chances of developing the bumps we are trying to avoid.
- Maintain a close inspection when shaving. In this regard, ensure that you get to shave along the direction that your pubic hairs align. You can try moving your hand along them to find their gradient.
- It is preferable that you use a new razor every time. In fact, never use the same razor more than three times. Other than promoting razor bumps, it can also encourage a boil on the skin or irritate one if it already exists.
- Never shave when there is no good reason to. The more a razor finds its way onto the skin, the higher chances of developing or irritating present bumps.
- Use creams that have cortisone to keep the vaginal region soothed. This can be applied two times on a daily basis.
- It is also important that you do not wear underwear that is too tight. This can interfere with the opening of hair follicles. Cotton-made pants are preferable for they get to absorb most of the sweat excreted in this region.
Maintaining these techniques and tips can help you reduce the severity or frequency of razor bumps on the bikini area.
Remedies to remove razor bumps on the pubic area quickly
Other than being irritating and causing an itch, razor bumps on the pubic area can encourage bacterial infections, or even herpes symptoms. Luckily, there are a couple of relatively affordable remedies that can be used to clear them quickly. They include:
The pubic area isn’t a good place to use aggressive products. Aloe Vera is very mild but powerful in healing skin conditions. In fact, it can be used to clear a mole on the face. Just apply the gel directly from the plant on the bumps daily. You can wash it off once dry.
It is one of the most potent remedies to clear razor bumps overnight. Its application is relatively straightforward. Just apply it on the needy areas daily till the bumps clear.
Apple cider vinegar
This remedy is very effective in inhibiting the spread of infections. In fact, it can also be used as a scabies treatment, though it cannot get rid of scabies mite themselves. Caution should be taken when using this remedy. In its concentrated forms, it has a burning effect to the skin.
This is the remedy you need to quickly stop the burning or itching sensation that may be resulting from razor bumps. To use it, just apply it on the needy areas and leave it to dry. After that, wash the area clean.
Other than being so effective as a painkiller, it also can be made into a paste and applied to the needy areas.
A solution containing this remedy can help fight infections are reduce swelling. It will also prevent against a constant itch that may require you to keep scratching the genital region.
Lemon juice should not be used on open sores. However, it is very powerful in barring bacterial entry and also known to reduce inflammations.
Tea tree oil
An antibacterial and antifungal, tea tree oil will hasten the rate of skin bumps’ healing. It is very helpful in treating skin conditions. In fact, it can be used to treat throat warts since the oil can be taken orally.
The same food products that will load your body system with vitamins can apparently improve the conditions down there after a shave. Just rub some refrigerated pieces on the affected areas and goodbye itch.
Gentle ways to remove razor bumps on genital area in men and women
Some people are not open to the idea of using creams or even natural remedies on the genital areas. The good thing is that there are other gentle ways that you can use to clear razor bumps on the genital area in men and women.
A cold compress is one of the most effective methods. This can be achieved by dipping a piece of cloth in refrigerated water and massaging the genital region, including the penile shaft. It is very soothing and reduces the severity of itchy razor bumps. You can also use some ice cubes wrapped in a piece of cloth to achieve the same effects.
Paradoxically, a hot compress can also help with the razor bumps situation. This is because it helps open up hair follicles which may end up curling into the skin. For best results, consider taking a hot bath after shaving. You can however just massage the shaven area with a piece of cloth dipped in warm water.
To get rid of the bumps permanently, you will need to avoid constant shaving, especially when other bumps are present.
How to avoid razor bumps on the penis, genitals and the penile shaft
Overgrown pubic hair isn’t really an attractive sight to most people. However, razor bumps prevention techniques must be taken into account if the desired results are to be achieved. Here are the techniques that may help you achieve successful after shave results:
- Don’t replace shaving gel with soap
- Take a hot shower prior to shaving
- Once done, rinse the shaven area with cold water
- Try some hydrocortisone cream on affected areas
- Keep the shaved region hydrated. You can use essential oils such as castor oil or topical moisturizers
- Avoid too tight underwear, especially after shaving
Can you remove razor bumps on the genital area overnight?
Even if you are to use prescribed medical products, it is still unlikely that you will succeed in removing the bumps overnight.
One way with which perhaps you can clear the bumps overnight is by releasing the trapped hairs. This can be done with a sharp needle and an antiseptic. As you may already be suspecting, the method is very intensive and may not be very effective for treating bumps in clusters.
The thing is that the bumps are caused by curled hairs, which instead of projecting out of the hair follicles bend into the skin. They can be confused with pimples. The main difference is in the fact that you can actually spot a hair strand in the bumps with close inspection.
Unlike corns, skin tags or even mole removal cost, razor bumps are relatively cheap to get rid of. For this reason, clinical treatment is necessary especially when the bumps become infected and ooze pus.