Hickeys are not harmful as long as your health is concerned. They also are not painful and will heal on their own with time. In fact, they can be a sign of affection or ‘naughty love’ and some people are actually proud of them. It is not always the case however. In social circles and around family members, they can be quite embarrassing.
Aesthetic reasons may need that you get rid of a hickey when it occurs. Like it is with most skin conditions, you will not succeed in removing it overnight. If left alone, it can take 2 to 14 days to clear on its own. A scar will not be left behind.
What causes hickeys; hickey definition
The correct hickey definition can revolve around its causes or how it appears like. Here, we will look at both definitions.
You will sometimes hear them termed as love bite or kiss marks. This is because hickeys are caused by deep kissing, biting or even sucking on the skin. They usually occur on the side of the neck but can also appear on any other part of the skin.
Broken blood capillaries under the skin are responsible for the occurrence of these skin marks. When a partner kisses or sucks too hard on the skin, several fine blood vessels near the skin surface may break causing blood to spill inside the skin.
A fresh hickey is usually red in appearance. As the spilled blood clots and runs out of oxygen, it will grow darker and assume a brown or dark purple coloration.
How to get rid of hickeys and remove overnight
You may need to wait for about 2 days or more for a hickey to go away completely. This can be sped up with home remedies and techniques for how to get rid of hickeys. They include:
A cold compress spreads the clotted blood to fasten reabsorption and make the hickey less noticeable. You can either use a cold metal spoon or an ice cube.
Wrap an ice cube with a piece of cloth and hold it on the kiss mark for 10-15 seconds. You can do this severally in a day.
You can also place a metal spoon in refrigerator for about 15 minutes and repeat the same process described for ice cubes.
This technique is supposed to encourage flow of blood to the affected area and also promote dispersion of the clotted blood. Don’t apply warm compress before the hickey has lasted for more than 2 days. This can cause further damage to the broken capillaries which have not healed yet. Warm compress method can also be used to remove boils and mole under armpit.
Aloe Vera gel
You can use the raw gel from the plant itself or a cream containing the product. Apply the gel on the hickey and leave it for about 10 minutes. After that, wipe the gel and repeat the process about 4 times in a day. This will speed up the recovery process.
Peppermint oil has skin soothing properties and can also aid in the healing of damaged blood vessels. To use it, apply the oil on the hickey only once in a day. It may produce a burning sensation but it will stop soon enough. You can also use a toothpaste brand containing peppermint. Again, apply it more than once in a day.
It may be quite surprising to learn that banana peels actually have very potent skin care capabilities. In fact, they have been used to get rid of pimple on arms.
To use the same, cut a sizeable portion of the peel and apply the inside of the same on the hickey for about 20-30 minutes. Repeat this thrice a day.
Tooth brush and massage
Use a stiff bristled tooth brush on the affected area to boost blood circulation and spread out the clogged blood. After that, massage the hickey to reduce the redness and also soothe any possible irritation. Essential oils are also known to be good for the skin including their use for skin tags and mole removal at home.
You may be blaming alcohol for a night of aggressive kissing but the same can actually provide an option on how to get rid of hickeys.
Just rub some alcohol on the affected part. You can use cotton wool or a piece of cloth. It will soothe the skin and prevent any possible contamination. Alcohol for hickey removal works best on fresh hickeys.
Best medicine for hickey removal
Hickey removal can also be done with creams, lotions and topical medicine. Here are some options you can consider:
- Excedrin – This medicine combines several remedies such as caffeine and aspirin. It has a thinning effect on the blood and will quickly spread out the clotted blood. It can also relieve any potential pain.
- Aspirin – You may have used it a couple of times as a painkiller. This medicine should be taken about a day or two after getting the hickey.
- Arnica salve – Bruised or inflamed skin parts can be effectively treated with arnica salve. It aids in thinning the broken blood vessels to encourage quicker recovery.
- Vitamin K and E –Creams containing any of these two vitamins can be used for hickey removal at home. Vitamin K will thin the formed blood clots while vitamin E will take part in the formation of new cells needed to heal the broken blood capillaries.
You may want to get advice from your doctor before using medical products to get rid of hickeys. This is because some creams can end up bringing about allergic reactions. In fact, don’t use more than one medical drug or cream without proper consultation.
How to cover a hickey without medical products
So maybe you really need to get on with your business without worrying about a hickey that you can’t remove fast enough. The available option in that case will be to conceal or hide it.
There are several approaches you can use to cover a hickey. Thy include:
- Clothing – collared shirts, scarfs, long sleeve shirts/blouse
- Cover up tales – There is always the option of telling of the much you regret to have used a bad razor brand to shave, which ended up bruising your skin.
- Hair styles – Women may be more advantaged when it comes to this trick to cover a hickey. You can always call your hair dresser early in the morning and have a hair style that will cover a hickey on your neck.
- Makeup – Makeup is perhaps the most familiar ways to hide hickeys that many people depend on. First, use a green corrector to make the hickey less conspicuous. After that, choose a yellow concealer and another one that matches you skin color. Mix them and apply the resulting concealer around the hickey. A foundation can also be used to hide hickeys more efficiently.
Which is the fastest way to get rid of a hickey?
Depending on its severity, the fastest way to remove a hickey will vary. Some approaches such as warm compress should not be used immediately the hickey occurs. Other such as use of alcohol may be useless when used to remove hickeys that are more than 2 days old.
You will rarely need medical attention for hickey removal. Also, there will be little or no success in trying to remove overnight hickeys. Knowing your options and causes of hickeys is the best shot you have to fastest way to remove or hide them.
In the real sense, hickeys are actually injures that have been sustained internally beneath the skin. To remove them, the injuries have to heal, which may take some time.
There are several options for hickey removal which you can choose from. For those needing to remove overnight hickeys, the best approach will be to conceal or hide them rather than making them disappear under a limited span of time.
You will certainly need to get rid of warts or skin tags especially when they occur on face. It is not the same with hickeys. To some, they are a symbol of passion, fun and love. In fact, you may be interested in knowing how to give a hickey.