Genital warts are sexually transmitted infections. They are caused by human papillomavirus (HPV). They account for a very large percent of sexually transmitted infections. In fact, they rank second in transmission after chlamydia. They occur in men as well as women. However, studies have shown that women are more susceptible than men. Treatment for genital warts is available. But unless the human papillomavirus is directly dealt with, infections will keep on coming back.
So what are genital warts? There are many predisposing factors to HPV virus. They include:
- Unprotected sex
- Weak immune system
- Mother to unborn child
- Rape and other forms of sexual harassment
Early symptoms include tender growths that develop on genital areas, which are mainly fleshly colored. On their own, these types of warts do not pose serious health effects. However, they are unattractive to look at and sources of stress especially in women. Also, they increase the risk of developing cervix cancer caused by a different strain of human papillomavirus. It is therefore very important to learn more on how to cure this type of warts.
Symptoms of genital warts
It is unlikely that you will notice genital warts by physically seeing them. It is better if you can browse through warts pictures and images. You might be mistaking a hemorrhoid for a wart or vice versa. Below are the symptoms that can help in differentiating warts of the genitals:
- They manifest in form of single or clustered warts. It mainly depends on the strength of your immune system, number of days after exposure and the intensity of the infestation.
- They usually are small. In some cases, they take take the skin pigmentation or a lightly dark coloring.
- They are smooth and will feel bumpy upon touch; It for this reason that constant friction or touching will damage the warts and cause bleeding. You may notice blood in stool or when having sex.
- They may spread to other parts of the body; that is to say that they will appear in the mouth or lips; this especially in case that a patient had oral sex with an infected individual.
- Unpleasant vaginal discharge; you may notice slight changes in the pigment, smell and intensity of vaginal discharges.
- Bleeding may occur on the affected areas. This is especially if the warts are pricked or subjected to friction.
- Constant itching around female genital and the penis shaft.
Other than the vaginal area and penis, warts also develop in the following areas:
- Inside and outside the anus
Treatment for genital warts in women and men
As identified earlier, warts in women as well as warts in women are caused by HPV virus. Like it is with all virus infections, the virus responsible for this type of warts will never go away from your body once infection has occurred. In fact, you will keep experiencing outbreaks, most o-f which will come and [go after short periods and after treatment.
Never use over the counter remedies to treat warts on vagina or warts on penis. They will only work by making the case worse. For best results, it is important that you visit a doctor, one who will prescribe the following warts cure remedies:
Trichloroacetic acid – This wart cure removes warts by breaking down the proteins forming the warts on penis or vagina. It is not that it will select between healthy body cells and warts. What I mean is that it will corrode any part of skin it is applied on. Works best for small warts.
Podophyllotoxin – It simply works by poisoning wart cells. It works best for warts occurring in clusters. Again, be careful when applying this remedy. As I already said, there is no way the creams can tell the difference between healthy body cells and wart cells.
Imiquimod – Recommended for large warts. When applied, the immune system is stimulated to attack the infesting warts. It is advised against for pregnant women.
The above warts cure applies different strategies to cure warts. It is important to remember that they should not be used without a doctor’s prescription.
How to cure mild genital warts
Physical ablation is the best option available on how to cure mild genital warts. Here, it will need that a qualified doctor gets to physically get rid of warts. There are four options to choose from, all which will be explained further by your doctor. They include:
- Surgical excision – It is a popular wart remover operation. The bottom line is that the warts get to be surgically cut and removed. Here, you will be put under an anesthisa, so you need not to worry about the pain.
- Laser surgery – This is the best solution to remove anal warts occurring deep in the anus or urethra. It is applicable for curing warts in women as well as warts in men. This type of operation is a bit expensive.
- Cryotherapy – This method uses liquefied nitrogen to freeze warts. It works best for vaginal warts, especially ones occurring around the vulva. Although remedies to freeze off warts are available over the counter, let the procedure be carried out by a doctor.
- Electro-surgery – It is a complex operation which involves burning mild vaginal warts with a slightly hot current carrying wire. It is not scary like it sounds. In fact, it is the best cure for heavy infestations like warts occurring in large clusters.
How to diagnose genital warts in women and men
Diagnosing vaginal warts is a bit complicated that diagnosing warts on penis. In the former case, a doctor may be forced to carry out a pelvic examination. For the later, it mainly involves looking for bumps on penis.
Diagnosis will involve searching for the above described symptoms of this type of warts. Also, a doctor may use a pap smear or an acidic solution to diagnose any form of genital warts. You will also need to answer some questions on your sex history. Here, it is important that you trust in the discretion of the doctor. Tell them any detail you might remember about possibility of having contracted the HPV virus. In addition, you should consider getting further tests for the HPV virus known to cause cervical cancer.
Home remedies as treatment for genital warts
If it is not essential oils for warts, stay away from home remedies as treatment for genital warts. In fact, just stay away from any form of home remedies as solutions on how to remove warts on genital areas.
Let your doctor carry out an examination and determine which treatment is best for your case. In attempt to cure genital warts with home remedies, you might end up worsening the situation or even opening up for other uncalled for infections.
It is important that recovery options and support be given to genital warts patients. Studies have shown that the reason as to why there is so much widespread of this infection is because people shy away from getting necessary help. Talk to your partner if you notice any symptoms of this infection. Consult a doctor and get taken through the available treatment options. As you will find out, genital warts can be very effectively managed, and in the process avoid complicated health consequences like cervical cancer.