Eczema is a common skin condition. Its main symptom is formation of dry, itchy and inflamed skin patches. While most cases are reported in children, the condition can occur at any age. The face, hands and legs are mostly affected.
Quite a number of herbs and natural treatments have been identified as effective for eczema treatment. One of the best examples is calendula.
Calendula is an herb, originally found around the Mediterranean. It gets its name from the tendency to produce flowers in particular periods of the calendar. Traditionally, it has been used as a flavoring, for religious activities, and for healing benefits. Calendula can be used in form of cream, lotion and oil for eczema and rosacea treatment. This article is a guide to whether or not calendula cream or oil works for eczema?
Calendula cream for eczema reviews
From information provided online by real users and calendula cream for eczema reviews, the following benefits are bound to be sourced from the flower:
- It promotes healing of wounds by acting as an antiseptic. It is also said to encourage production of collagen, the substance that keeps the skin strong and free from wrinkles. If used for long enough, the cream may prevent formation of scars after recovery from severe eczema.
- Fights skin inflammation. Eczema is a notorious condition that always causes thickening of the skin. This is particularly because it is associated with allergies such as asthma and hay fever. Some reviews suggest that calendula can in fact help in fighting cancer. Cancer is also a type of inflammatory diseases.
- Soothes irritated skin and eases itchiness. One of the most persistent symptoms of eczema is itchiness. The problem is that in attempt to ease the itch, patients scratch affected skin regions, which leads to more irritation. Applying calendula on a daily basis will greatly reduce potential damage that would have resulted from scratching eczema rash. The cream can for example be very effective in treating eczema on the back of the neck caused by fabric or price tags.
- Calendula is known to reduce pain on injured skin. In fact, it is also used for treating burns and cuts.
How to make calendula cream for eczema
To make calendula cream for eczema, one of the most important ingredients you will need is calendula oil. Calendula oil is not directly extracted from the flowers, contrary to how it may sound. Rather, the flowers are left to wilt, soaked in carrier oil such as olive or almond oil, left for a couple of weeks, then sieved to get calendula oil. You can purchase calendula oil or make it at home. This is especially handy for people who grow calendula flowers at home. ¼ cup or 1 ounce of beeswax is the other ingredient you will need.
Once with the two ingredients, heat the oil with beeswax in a double boiler. Wait until the beeswax is completely melted and stir to a fine mixture. Once done, pour the mixture into holding containers and leave to cool.
Where to get the best calendula cream for eczema
You can consider growing the plant at home. In this way, you will be assured of getting the most natural form of the plant. In any case, making the cream at home is not that demanding.
All the same, calendula creams can be bought in supermarkets or online shops. Before buying, it is important to go through calendula cream for eczema reviews as provided by real users. One way to achieve this is by buying from amazon.
Always go for the most natural calendula cream you can get. Other ingredients you can look for include vitamin E and essential oils. You can find more information on what essential oils are good for eczema.
Make a point of reading the full review for the cream you are buying as provided on the main website. It is only on the official website that you will find full details on which ingredients have been used. The reason as to why so much importance is associated with ingredients is because eczema infected skin is easily irritated. Preservatives or compounds meant to improve on fragrance may end up irritating the already irritated skin. It is therefore important to buy and use organic calendula cream for eczema.
Using calendula lotion for eczema treatment
Calendula lotion is also another form in which the flower can be used to treat eczema. To make a good calendula lotion at home, you will require the following ingredients:
- 1 ounce beeswax
- Shea butter, 2 tablespoon
- Jojoba oil ¼ cup
- Coconut oil ¼ cup
- Calendula oil ½ cup
- In a double boiler, melt beeswax and combine it with all the three oils
- Add shea butter once beeswax is almost completely melted
- Stir the mixture appropriately
- Pour into holding containers and leave to cool
- Use after several hours
To improve quality of the calendula lotion, you can add fragrance-rich essential oils such as lavender oil. Vitamin E capsules can also be added into the mixture. Eczema responds well to treatments using vitamin E pills.
When not to use calendula cream eczema treatment
Calendula is a mild flower. Most people will tolerate its effects. However, application on cracked skin or open blisters is not advised.
In infants, use of calendula is not considered harmful. It is however important to have your doctor’s take on its use. In fact, always consider professional advice on what cream to use on baby eczema. Many cases of eczema start during infancy, but it is also common to see it develop initially in pregnant women or when they are breastfeeding.
If you are allergic to flowers that resemble sunflower or dandelion, avoid use of calendula. It can lead to an allergic reaction on the skin.
Other home remedies to use with calendula
A single treatment or home remedy rarely succeeds in getting rid of eczema completely. In fact, it may be necessary that topical steroids and other medical options be integrated into the treatment scheme. Your doctor will advise you on that.
Below are other home remedies you can use along with calendula cream to treat eczema:
- Aloe Vera – squeeze fresh gel from the herb and apply it on the eczema rash or patches. It will reduce inflammation, promote healing and soothe irritation.
- Chamomile – this is one of the most effective remedies to use against eczema. To use it, brew its flowers or leaves in boiled water and use the tea to rinse affected regions.
- Oatmeal – add it to water, stir and use in baths or to soak affected regions.
- john’s wort
- Witch hazel
- Shea butter
- Essential oils